The SpacePak High Velocity Air Conditioning System has been designed to reduce installation time and cost for the installer. Small diameter, flexible tubing weaves around construction obstacles and eliminates the need for bulky, cumbersome ductwork and major structural renovations.
Fittings simply snap securely into place with no tools required. The general installation guidelines listed below provide a quick reference to ensure successful installation and operation of the SpacePak system.
1. Outlets – The most important rule of thumb when installing a SpacePak Mini Duct System is installing the proper number of outlets. Six (6) to Seven (7) outlets per ton are recommended for optimal 35-40 CFM airflow from each outlet under normal conditions to maximize aspiration.
2. Outlet Placement – SpacePak outlets should be placed in the room where they will create the least disturbance (floors, ceilings, walls) and not infringe upon inhabitants. Traffic patterns, drapes and bed placement are all factors to consider.
3. Supply Duct – Ideally, all runs should be as equal in length as possible. Keep the 2″ mini duct lengths between 9 ft. and 30 ft. for best performance. The longer the duct run, the lower the outlet capacity.
4. Main Trunk/Plenum – Maximize use of the main trunk-line to minimize the lengths of 2″ ducts. This allows for easier installation and a better performing, balanced system if the 2″ duct line lengths are minimized.
5. 60/40 Rule – Always try to use a full flow trunk-line “T” in larger, 4-5 ton SpacePak systems. Never exceed a 60/40 split of outlets off the main trunk-line in order to maintain evenly distributed airflow. A perfect 50/50 split is best.
6. Locating Take-Offs – Distribute takeoffs as evenly as possible along the main trunk-line – no closer than 6″ away from one another. This will assure better, balanced airflow.
7. Sound Attenuators – The last 3 ft. of every run should use a fully-fabricated SpacePak sound attenuator to reduce outlet air sound. Return Air Duct – Minimize potential fan noise and maximize performance of this acoustically lined duct by incorporating a 90-degree bend between the air handler and return grille.
8. Kwik-Connect – SpacePak Air Conditioning Systems feature unique ‘Kwik-Connect’ adapters to save time and money during installation. Simply position the slots and turn to the lock position to provide a secure, air-tight seal for flexible duct connections.
For more information and details concerning installation of a SpacePak Mini Duct System, view an installation guide.